You are here
Football News 

Anthony Martial’s Future Uncertain

Anthony Martial’s long term future at Old Trafford is under scrutiny, after he failed to make the squad again, this time away to Hull in the EFL Cup semi-final on Thursday night.

The 21-year-old Frenchman has struggled to hold down a regular starting place this season under Jose Mourinho and after being dropped from the squad that drew 1-1 with Stoke last weekend, is furious of his latest omission.

But the Manchester United boss has said Martial, who has only scored six goals in all competitions this season, will have a place in this weekend’s FA Cup match against Wigan, where he can prove his worth.

Martial, who became the most expensive teenager in football history after he joined United from Monaco 17 months ago in a £36million deal that could rise to £58m, starred under Louis van Gaal but has struggled to convince Mourinho of his value to the team.

And whilst Martial is unhappy of the Portuguese boss’ criticism, Mourinho is disappointed with Martial’s performance, thus confirming that the relationship between the forward and his manager is at an all time low.

Mourinho had already warned that with Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Ashley Young all available, it would “kill the others” if he was chosen ahead of them on current form.

Speaking of Martial at his pre-match press conference, the former Chelsea boss said: “I don’t think he lost his focus, he just didn’t catch with both hands a big opportunity he had.

“We have still five players for these positions. I cannot give to one player chances to play and kill the others.

“I cannot give to the same player chance after chance after chance and not consider the effort of the others. I have to take people out of the team. That’s simple.”

Despite the unrest at Old Trafford, it is understood Martial is happy at the club and does not want to leave.

Related posts

Leave a Comment