You are here
Football News 

Antonio Conte Signs Improved Deal With Chelsea

As Chelsea jetted off to their pre-season tour of the Far East Tuesday evening, it was announced that club manager Antonio Conte signed an improved two-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

The deal believed to be worth £19.2 million does not include an extension to his initial three-year contract, signed on his arrival in west London in the summer of 2016.

The Italian indicated in May that he was looking to extend his contract for many years, but his frustrations over transfer plans and Chelsea’s hierarchy had prevented him from putting pen to paper on the latest deal that was offered before the end of the season.

Before signing to the Premier League side, the 47 year-old had won Serie A three times as manager of Juventus and performed well with Italy, before steering Chelsea to the Premier League title in his first year at the club last season.

With Inter Milan reportedly interested in the manager and murmurs of his discontent over the transfer policy coupled with homesickness, there had been fears he would walk away. Fans can now sigh with relief.

“I am very happy to have signed a new contract with Chelsea,” Conte told reporters Tuesday evening.

“We worked extremely hard in our first year to achieve something amazing, which I am very proud of. Now we must work even harder to stay at the top.

“The Chelsea fans have given me so much support since I arrived here one year ago and it is important we continue to succeed together.”

Chelsea’s director Marina Granovskaia said: “Antonio achieved incredible success last season, adapting to English football very quickly and leading us to the Premier League title.

“This new contract reflects our belief that he can continue to deliver results both domestically and as we return to European competition in the Champions League.”

 

 

Related posts

Leave a Comment