The remaining 20 footballers shortlisted for the 2017 Ballon d’Or were confirmed yesterday afternoon by France Football, which completes the 30 man list.
The lists consists of footballers from LaLiga, the Premier League, Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga. With 11 named players from LaLiga they account for a third of the shortlist, whilst the the Premier League has 7 of their players named.
Despite scoring 30 goals in all competitions last season, Arsenal frontman Alexis Sanchez name has been left off France Football’s elite shortlist, along with Tottenham playmaker Christian Eriksen who had a superb campaign and bagged 23 assists.
Frenchman Ousmane Dembele is another not included despite a glittering season at Borussia Dortmund.
The selection is done by a panel of judges comprising of 173 journalists selected from all over the world. The full list of voting results by country is then released in the magazine at a set date, usually in December. This year the winner will be revealed in December 6th
Cristiano Ronaldo has once again had a staggering year and is almost certain to retain his crown.
Below is a full list of 2017 Ballon d’Or nominations.
- Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool)
- Paulo Dybala (Juventus)
- N’Golo Kante (Chelsea)
- Marcelo (Real Madrid)
- Dries Mertens (Napoli)
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
- Neymar (PSG)
- Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid)
- Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
- Luis Suarez (Barcelona)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
- David de Gea (Manchester United)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham)
- Edin Dzeko (Roma)
- Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- Toni Kroos (Real Madrid)
- Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
- Sadio Mane (Liverpool)
- Radamel Falcao (Monaco)
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund)
- Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Mats Hummels (Bayern Munich)
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
- Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
- Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus)
- Isco (Real Madrid)
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain)