Stoke City manager Mark Hughes told reporters on Friday that the club were aware new signing Saido Berahino had served an eight-week suspension before he joined from West Bromwich Albion.
“There was an FA disciplinary matter and Saido had an eight-week suspension, I believe,” Hughes told a Friday morning press conference.
“We were aware of that before we signed him. In terms of more detail you would probably need to refer back to his former club.
“We aren’t in a position to give any more details as we don’t have them. He had issues at his previous club for 18 months, which this is obviously a part of.”
The 23-year-old secured a deal with Stoke last month worth £12 million after a long unhappy period with his former side, serving the ban earlier in the season.
According to SportsMail it is understood the ban was for testing positive for a recreational Class A drug in an out-of-competition drugs test, but neither his former manager Tony Pulis or the FA will confirm this information.
The former England Under-21 international, played his last game for his former club against Bournemouth on Sept 10, 2016 and hadn’t played for the junior team from Sept 20 until Dec 12.
Pulis blames his omission from the squad on his player’s poor form, fitness and attitude. After scoring 20 goals during 2014-15, Spurs bid £25 million for Berahino’s transfer, but Albion refused sell which prompted a threat of a strike.
Two months ago, which would be during the time he was suspended, he told West Brom’s website: “This last year has been the most difficult of my career and it has left me short of the form and fitness required for the Premier League”.
Ironically Stoke are away to West Brom on Saturday in a game in which Hughes sees no reason for Berahino not to start.