You are here
Football News 

PL Clubs Meeting To Discuss Overseas Broadcasting Deals Adjourned

The Premier League clubs met in London today to discuss new proposals to change the way they receive money from overseas broadcasting deals, however the meeting was adjourned to discuss the matter further.

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore had put forward a plan to Board members of all 20 Premier League clubs suggesting 35% of global revenue should be divided based on league position, with the remaining 65% distributed equally to all clubs.

However the ‘Big Six’ PL clubs Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea want a bigger share of the next multi-billion-pound 2019-22 contract.

The six top flight clubs have argued that certain countries want to see the best teams playing which for 2016-19 contract will raise £3billion equating to £39million per club.

But some of the lower ranked clubs insist the top teams are already much richer through commercial deals and domestic prize pools. This extra money they believe would distort a playing field that is the most level of any quality European league.

The equal sharing of international broadcasting income between the clubs has been in place for the last 25 years, but new contracts for the international markets such as China and the United States have created a huge increase in demand and value.

With a majority vote of two-thirds needed in order for any changes to take place, Wednesday’s meeting ended with no final decision being made, although the proposal was not rejected as such, but further talks are required.

Nine clubs presently favour the new distribution plan, but fourteen clubs need to agree before any changes are approved.

A Statement read: “Clubs agreed to adjourn to allow further discussion. It had become clear during the meeting that the plan was significantly short of gaining the support of the 14 clubs needed for it to be passed.”

The issue will be discussed again at the next meeting of club bosses in November.

Related posts

Leave a Comment