Wigan Launch Investigation After Pitch Invasion

Wigan have launched a full investigation in conjunction with the FA and City, following the pitch invasion after their stunning FA Cup victory over Manchester City on Monday night at DW Stadium.

The visiting side’s player were escorted off the pitch after it was invaded by the home fans and at this point City’s Sergio Aguero was involved in an altercation . The Argentine has since sat down with club officials and lawyers to discuss the incident, which is believed to be a case of common assault after a home fan verbally abused the player before spitting at him.

Pep Guardiola was also involved in an angry outburst in the tunnel at halftime with Wigan manager Paul Cook, following Fabian Delph’s sending off for a foul on Max Power.

The win was celebrated in the centre of the pitch but some home fans made their way to the away end and began taunting the 4,000 travelling support.

The hostility led missiles being thrown by the away fans, some aimed at stewards and police, with two arrests for affray made outside the grounds.

Wigan chairman David Sharpe told BBC Breakfast: ‘The emotions of football can sometimes get the better of fans and that was evident last night. I don’t like to see what happened at the end of the game. We’ll have to look into it properly with the FA and the authorities over what was going on, but it looks like both City and Wigan fans weren’t being too pleasant to each other, and there was damage to the stadium.

‘But that can be the emotion of supporters sometimes. Things can get carried away. We’ve got to remain classy in certain situations and that’s the feeling we’re taking from last night. ‘I don’t think it will detract from our victory – not one bit. I think people know how football is and what fans can do in a certain moment, they can get carried away.

‘I think the main story is Wigan beating Man City, who were on for the quadruple. They’re favourites for the Premier League, the Champions League – and a League One club has just knocked them out of the FA Cup.’